• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
Thu 11/7/2013 10:07 PM

This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!

Greetings!

Based on the increasing likelihood that Connecticut will be impacted by a significant winter storm, I am raising the CT ARES activation status to Level 1 Alert effective immediately.

Please maintain good situational awareness as the storm develops by watching/listening to your preferred weather forecast sources.

I expect SKYWARN to be activated sometime on Friday to gather storm data (wind/rain/snow/ice) for the National Weather Service (NWS).

Please be prepared to assist our Served Agencies if requested by ensuring your radio batteries are charged, vehicles and generators are fueled, etc.

The safety of you and your family should be your highest priority! Now is the time to make preparations to keep your family safe should you be asked to deploy.

I anticipate raising the activation status to Level 2 Standby tomorrow morning. Remember, you should NOT deploy without direction from the appropriate ARES or local official.

73, Wayne N1CLV
CT ARES - SEC
Cell: 860-917-6472
Email: [email protected]
Communications is the link between problems and solutions.

This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.

SET 2013 10 years 5 months ago #321

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
CT ARES – REGION 2
Trained - Active - Ready

TO: Region 2 ARES TEAM

THIS IS A DRILL
THIS IS A DRILL
THIS IS A DRILL

CT ARES - REGION 2
IS NOW
AT
LEVEL 1 - "ALERT"

HEADS UP !
Something "might" happen.
(Blizzard, Severe Snow Storm, Ice Storm,
Tornado, Hurricane, Flooding, Etc.)

It's TIME TO...
- Charge all Batteries
- Replace/purchase Alkaline Batteries
- Final Check your: "Go Box", "Go Kit", & "Go Bag"
- Gas up the Car/Truck
- Refill Jerry Cans.
- Test Generators

Best To Do These Things NOW!

** You may not have any time between
Level 2 and Level 3 Announcements

THIS IS A DRILL
THIS IS A DRILL
THIS IS A DRILL

SEE YOU ON THE AIR!

SET 2013 10 years 5 months ago #322

• WA1SFH
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!

Fri 11/8/2013 7:51 AM

Greetings!

Based on the increasing likelihood that the winter storm currently moving into Connecticut will cause widespread power outages and disrupt communications infrastructure, I am raising the CT ARES activation status to Level 2 Standby effective at 1200 noon today, Friday, 8 November 2013.

Please maintain good situational awareness as the storm impacts our area by watching/listening to your preferred weather forecast sources.

I expect SKYWARN to be activated later today to gather storm data (wind/rain/snow/ice) for the National Weather Service (NWS).

Please be prepared to assist our Served Agencies if requested by ensuring your radio batteries are charged, vehicles and generators are fueled, etc.

The safety of you and your family should be your highest priority! Now is the time to make preparations to keep your family safe should you be asked to deploy.

I anticipate raising the activation status to Level 3 Deploy early tomorrow morning to allow us to assist our Served Agencies in their recovery efforts. Remember, you should NOT deploy without direction from the appropriate ARES or local official.

73, Wayne N1CLV
CT ARES - SEC

This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!

SET 2013 10 years 5 months ago #323

• WA1SFH
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
SET 2013 - Bulletin #3

Fri 11/8/2013 5:54 PM

Exercise Director's Note:
In order to receive scoring credit for messages sent via either WL2K or Classic Packet, originators of such messages should report the number they originated during the SET up to their DEC so that he can include the count in his SET Report. All players are encouraged to contribute to the "fun dimension" of the exercise by reporting information to nets and via message traffic that is appropriate to the scenario.

Aside: While rigging my emergency NVIS 80 meter dipole this afternoon, I was getting pelted with sleet with the sun shining! But it was still better than the October snowstorm we had during the 2011 SET!!

This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!

As predicted, Winter Storm BECKY is causing severe icing in the four northern counties of the state (Litchfield, Hartford, Tolland, and Windham). Travel conditions are treacherous and power lines are at or near their breaking point. Very strong coastal winds in the four southern counties (Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex, and New London) are causing extensive power outages due to trees down over power lines.

USGS reports seismological activity in the region has increased notably. In light of the heavy river flow from the storm, there is particular concern for potential catastrophic damage to dams statewide.

I intend to activate CT ARES early on Saturday, 9 November 2013, to assist with recovery in the aftermath of this storm and/or earthquake event. Please be prepared to assist our Served Agencies by staffing the following locations to the degree possible: CT DEMHS Regional Offices (simulated), shelters (simulated) opened by the American Red Cross, and Emergency Operations Centers (simulated) in municipalities needing radio operators. Coordination by District Emergency Coordinators (DECs) with local authorities is encouraged.

SKYWARN nets are active today providing wind/rain/snow/ice data as well as assisting with river and stream monitoring. The National Traffic System (NTS) nets, both HF and VHF, will be used to handle related message traffic.

73, Wayne N1CLV
CT ARES - SEC

This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!

SET 2013 10 years 5 months ago #324

• WA1SFH
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!

Situation update: Fri 11/8/2013 10:17 PM

As predicted, Winter Storm BECKY has hit Connecticut with great intensity, causing heavy icing in the four northern counties and bringing destructive coastal winds to the four southern counties. Winter Storm BECKY has caused widespread power outages and disrupted communications infrastructure across the state.

Our SKYWARN partners have been active today providing valuable observations for the National Weather Service. The Section's three VHF NTS Nets have been very busy with storm-related traffic -- please help to keep the traffic flowing smoothly. Use of the W1SP WL2K RMS Gateways to move traffic is strongly encouraged, too.

To support the state's recovery from this storm, I am raising the CT ARES activation status to Level 3 Deploy effective at 0730 tomorrow morning, Saturday, 9 November 2013. DECs/ADECs should hold Resource Nets as needed to muster ARES members for mission assignments and specific tasking.

We will hold ARES Leadership Nets on the KB1AEV linked repeater system for SM/SEC/STM/ASEC/DEC participants on the even half hours -- i.e., 0830, 1030, 1230, 1430, and 1630 (if needed).

Please respond to requests from your Regional and local ARES leadership officials to assist our Served Agencies as needed.

Remember the safety of you and your family should be your highest priority! Please be sure they are safe and provided for before you deploy.

Reminder: You should NOT deploy without direction from the appropriate ARES or local official.

73, Wayne N1CLV
CT ARES - SEC

This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!
This is an exercise!

SET 2013 10 years 5 months ago #325

• WA1SFH
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
THE REGION 2 GAME PLAN

Friday, Nov. 8, 2013
Hi Everybody,
HERE IS GAME PLAN
- Stations reporting from EOCs or other assignments check-in to the "Tactical Net".
- Unassigned Stations check-in to the "Resource Net".

Visit and check-in from as many EOCs in Region 2 as possible.
- An adjacent street curb or parking lot will do just fine.

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!
Surprise injects will be tossed at us to complicate things and challenge us.
- The name of this game is "Improvise".

I am going to need 4 volunteers on Saturday, to work 3.5 hour shifts (morning or afternoon) and run the "Resource Nets" (West/Central Area and East Area).
This is important detail work.
It requires:
- Running the net, taking check-ins, noting where they are, and what their capabilities are for this exercise (mobile, fixed, portable).
- Checking-in to the Tactical Net for assignments, and then returning to the "Resource Net" to hand out the assignments
- Logging who is doing what, where and when.
- Logging and reporting/accounting for all who are done for the day and have
checked-out.
IF YOU ARE AVAILABLE FOR THIS DUTY, please email me before 7 am tomorrow (Sat.), or check into the Tactical Net (linked Woodbridge & Killingly Repeaters).

SATURDAY'S SCHEDULE (Subject to Change)

Tactical Net
0900 - 0955 hrs.
1100 - 1155
1300 - 1355
1500 - 1555
1700 - 1755

Resource Net
0930 - 1300 hrs. (Morning Shift)
1300 - 1630 hrs. (Afternoon Shift)

40m Net
1000 hrs. on 7.270 MHz

75m Net
1400 hrs. on 3.975 MHz

Data Communications (DO BOTH!)
Send me messages via RMS Express
- My system address is: [email protected]
Use whichever of the W1SP towers you can hit, and be sure to try the Gateway machine in Shelton (N1BDF-10).
Classic Packet Radio (CPR) or Outpost
Send me text messages via CPR or Outpost
SEE YOU ON THE AIR!

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds