TOPIC:

Your Next Battery! (LiFePO4) 7 years 7 months ago #744

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
10/1/2016
One of the Forums I attended at Boxboro was about the advances in battery technology and chemistry, and how which battery chemistry we choose affects our ability to operate. The presentation was by John (N1OLO) of local Hamsource.com fame.

John’s company (Hamsource.com) sells the Bioenno Power (Bioennopower.com) line of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries, and I understand that he has been working with Bioenno Power on circuit improvements and getting the batteries spec'd with Anderson Powerpole Connectors.

While battery chemistry may not be new to you, what I learned during this forum knocked my socks off !
Examples:
Compared with Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries, they are:
- significantly lighter
- have a better discharge curve (read: longer operating time)
- do not give off hydrogen gas when charging
- can be discharged at higher rates than SLAs

Compared with other Lithium battery chemistries, they are safer than Cobalt Lithium Batteries (can you say “Samsung Android Galaxy Note 7”).

Charging Cycles
SLAs = 500 charging cycles.
This LiFePO4 battery 2,000 charging cycles
- This is a 4:1 battery life ratio
You can leave it on a shelf for 6 months between maintenance topping charges .
- Self Discharge is 0.5% per 30 days

This Bioenno includes a special protection circuit board, built into each battery package, that prevents killing the battery though:
- over charging
- over discharging
- accidentally shorting the battery ( High Current)

Their batteries come in 2 packaging options.
- Standard Plastic Case
- PVC plastic wrapped batteries (saves more weight)

What I like most is the AHr improvement (Power Curve ) that allows me to get the same power of my 100 AHr Marine Deep Cycle battery in a 48 AHr LiFePO4 battery that comes in a smaller and lighter package.
- Wow! ! Do you know how HEAVY those Marine Deep Cycle batteries are?
- Now, depending on the configuration, the reduced weight makes putting a battery in a “GO BOX” a real option.
Note:
I recommend limiting the weight of a “GO BOX” to a maximum of 25 pounds for easy carry and lifting.

Cost
(Don’t call me “Cheap”. Call me “Frugal”)

LiFePO4 batteries are CHEAPER than SLA batteries

Here you have to think in terms of Battery Life Before Replacement.

SLA batteries last only ¼ the life of a LiFePO4 battery (500 vs. 2,000 charging cycles)
This means you have to buy 4 SLA batteries to equal the life of just one LiFePO4 battery.
EXAMPLE:
If you are talking about the common 12v 7AHr SLA bricks, that means buying EIGHT (in sets of 2) compared with ONE equivalent LiFePH04 battery.

No question about it, it is a hefty up-front cash outlay.
- But...

- SEE REPLY BELOW for the Economics Explanation

In light of the added benefits of lighter weight, less bulk, better discharge curves, longevity before Recharge Needed, and built-in protection, it is a NO BRAINER!

I KNOW that when my two 100 AHr Marine Deep Cycle SLA batteries and the three 7 AHr batteries I have go to the recycling plant, I will be replacing them all with these Bioenno Power LiFePO4 batteries.

UPDATE (2019): Bought my first 40 AHr LiFePH04 battery (10.3 lbs ), and... I am LOVING IT! :)
A 40 AHr battery with this chemistry should easily give 80% before the NEED to Recharge. That is 32 AHr of usable battery. B)

Here is a “Ham Radio Nation” Interview of Bioenno Power President
twit.cachefly.net/video/hn/hn0241/hn0241...4m_1280x720_1872.mp4
(starts at 02:52 min)

Here is an independent Battery Power Comparison test video report by KF7IJZ that also shows the discharge curves. WOW!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.

Your Next Battery! (LiFePO4) 4 years 5 months ago #823

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12

Here is another review (Nov. 2019) of LiFePHO4 vs. SLA
Similar info, slightly different presentation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds