• Page:

TOPIC:

Choosing a DMR Radio - Buyer Beware! 9 years 4 months ago #506

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
What are the specific features/specifications that make a radio truly a DMR radio suitable for use on the DMR networks that have sprung up in CT and the NY Tri-State area?

My goal in asking is so that we can help people who want to buy a DMR radio select one that is truly a DMR radio. I know that a lot of people have purchased the Connect Systems CS700 (I have one on order) but there are other radios advertising themselves as "DMR" and people are taking an interest in them - especially because some of the "DMR" radios advertised on eBay are starting to come in at the $150 price range (direct ship from China).

In addition, we're starting to see ads for things that may or may not be DMR but have the letters "DMR" in their names/descriptions. For example, there's a Kirisun radio that is variously being described as dPMR, pDMR, or DpMR - I'm told that it's not a real DMR radio but it keeps coming up in searches for DMR, which means that sooner or later someone is going to buy one thinking that they're getting a DMR radio.

Thanks in advance.

Jon, WB2RYV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Choosing a DMR Radio - Buyer Beware! 9 years 4 months ago #507

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
Jon, here is a quick summary:

Any radio that is DMR Tier II Compliant will work on the DMR-MARC Network (and the CT ARES DMR Network ~ DES)

The CS700 is your best bang for the buck at this time. Other “imports” don’t seem to have the same following or support in the Ham Radio community.

There is one catch- Motorola Radios do something just like your cellphone that other brands cannot do- Roam. Literally hand you off from one repeater to another as you travel without any user intervention. Just something to keep in mind.

So read the fine print, and enjoy.

-Charles N1LLL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds