TOPIC:

SIMPLEX REPEATERS 10 years 9 months ago #263

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
“What is a SIMPLEX repeater?”
A simplex repeater records incoming transmissions and retransmits them on the same frequency (somewhat like a Digipeater in Packet Radio).

The Pro & Con
Con: This technique has the effect of doubling the time required to transmit a message.

Pro: A simplex repeater can be set up with a single handheld radio and operated from batteries.
- Compare to a traditional duplex repeater that typically costs thousands of dollars and might be semi-portable at best,

Pro: Perfect for disaster response, where radio range needs to be extended but the cost and complexity of a traditional repeater can’t be justified or funded.

Why consider using SIMPLEX repeaters in Region 2?
- Why do we need them?

a) While full duplex repeaters would be nice to have, we do not have a funding stream to finance them.
HELP!: If you have experience with GRANT WRITING and finding Grant money, please email me ([email protected]).

b) ARES must consider and plan for "worst case" scenarios.
- The nice part is that we, in Region 2, don’t have to face these with any regularity.
However, we must BE PREPARED and not allow ourselves to be lulled into a false sense of “Blue Sky” security.

You know the ARES motto: “When All Else Fails”.
Consider the implications and ramifications for a for a moment:
HINT:
When All Else FAILS… It is no longer an emergency…
IT IS A DISASTER!

In the case of a “BLACK SKY EVENT” (i.e. when everything goes off-line, goes silent, breaks off, falls down and goes “Boom”), the Region 2 topography works against us for region-wide Direct SIMPLEX communications.

During the first CT DEMHS Statewide Exercise (EPPI 2012), we learned that:
* Orange cannot hit the DEMHS Region 2 EOC office direct on 2 meter Simplex, but that a station in North Haven could act as a 2-way relay for both stations.

* Direct Simplex signals from Woodbridge to the R2 EOC were stopped by rain showers.

* Direct 2 meter Simplex communications between the East Area (E1 & E2) and the R2 EOC are stopped by RF absorbing hills and Line of Sight (LOS) blocking ridges.

CONCLUSION
There is a definite NEED[/b] for an affordable back-up alternative… enter the SIMPLEX Repeater.

I envision having, at a minimum, 4 SIMPLEX Repeaters (with batteries, antennas and masts), boxed, ready to go.

- These would be per-positioned strategically around Region 2 , with 1 in each AREA (WEST, CENTRAL, EAST) and a spare with the DEC.

OPTION A: HARDWARE
I pleased to report that ARES TEAM member Ron (WZ1V) in Clinton is starting a new Simplex Repeater project.

His plan is to marry an Argent Data Systems ADS-SR1 Simplex Repeater to a surplus Motorola GM300 radio, and end up with a 45 Watt 2 meter SIMPLEX portable Repeater.

Info on the ADS-SR1 can be found at:
www.argentdata.com/products/repeater.html

We look forward to hearing more from him as he puts it together.

OPTION B: SOFTWARE
Jonathan (K1RFD), of “EchoLink” fame, also wrote a program called EchoStation.

EchoStation is:
- A repeater-control program for Windows which makes it easy to set up a complete, fully-functional repeater or "announcement machine" using a personal computer.
- Perfect for portable and emergency events when you would rather use a PC instead of specialized hardware to control a repeater.
- An excellent "store and forward" simplex repeater when connected to a single transceiver.

Information (and Free Download) program can be found at:
www.echolink.org/sc/

OPTION C: - Raspberry Pi
It has been suggested that an enterprising creative person could do something with the ubiquitous Raspberry PI for such an application.

Option C is intriguing, but is beyond my level of knowledge (insert the Dirt Harry quote about limitations).
- Please let me know if this is a project that you will be looking into doing yourself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.

SIMPLEX REPEATERS 10 years 8 months ago #284

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
9/15/2013

Well, it has been an interesting 2 weeks.

Last week I was treated to a demonstration of EchoStation by Ned (KA1CVV).

This week, at the CT ARES-Region 2: Leadership Meeting PLUS (North Haven), Ron (WZ1V) treated the attendees to a demonstration of his Argent Data Systems ADS-SR1 Simplex Repeater.

Both systems are impressive!

Now, we need to compare and contrast the two methods to see which would satisfy our needs after Black Sky day here in Region 2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds