• Page:

TOPIC:

Net Call-up: Why do it THAT way? 8 years 11 months ago #594

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
There seems to be some confusion and upset among some ARES Team Members in Region 2 as to why we use the ‘Zone Method’ for our Net Call-up, when other Nets use an ‘Alphabetical Method.

Consider this:
In ARES, we train for Real World Events - when the heat is “on”, the pressure is “up”, and the stress is ‘HIGH’.
- So, the more we are able to do to lessen the workload and relieve the stress, the better we will perform.

Why do it THAT way?
The answer is quite simple:
Region 2 is divided up into Areas and Zones… Not Callsigns.

The ‘Zone Method’ solves several potential problems for the Net Control Station (NCS), and has benefit for stations checking-in on the Net.

- Unlike the ‘Alphabetical Method’, the NCS operator knows immediately where everybody is geographically (by Zone) within Region 2.
This means NCS does not have to waste time and energy resorting the Check-In list to attain that knowledge.
For example, NCS knows immediately (at a glance) that he has 3 stations in Zone West 1 and 5 stations in Zone East 1.

- The NCS operator is able to respond quickly to requests for communications support at specific sites (i.e. deployment requests) from a Partner Agency.

- The NCS operator is able to quickly assign Traffic (i.e. messages) more quickly to appropriate stations.

- The ‘Zone Method’ in Region 2 duplicates the SEC Net’s (Sunday night) “Region Method”, but at a slightly more detailed level.

- The ‘Zone Method’ minimizes the number of stations “doubling” (i.e. talking over each other).

- It saves a lot of time compared to using the MUCH SLOWER ‘Town Method’, where stations are called by Town using an A to Z Town Name list. Note: There are 30 Towns in Region 2.

- Familiarizes all stations checking-in with: the Zones of Region 2, the Towns in Zones, and where other ARES Team Members are located.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds