• WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
urgentcomm.com/blog/amateur-radio-experiences-diy-renaissance

Urgent Communications
Feb. 28, 2013

By David Sumner

When amateurs began experimenting with radio more than a century ago, they had no choice but to build everything they needed. Some went on to become successful entrepreneurs, selling their creations to fellow hobbyists who were more interested in operating radios than in constructing them. Others built their own receivers and transmitters either from economic necessity or for the fun and satisfaction of being able to say, "I did it myself."

After World War II, the market was flooded with surplus electronic components that could be bought in bulk for less than the cost of manufacture. The Heath Company parlayed these riches into a successful business by designing kits that could be built at home by anyone with simple tools and a soldering iron.

Step-by-step instructions virtually eliminated the risk of failure. No one embraced Heathkits more enthusiastically than the amateur-radio community. At the time, electronic manufacturing still involved point-to-point wiring and was very labor intensive, so hams could buy a kit for less than the cost of an equivalent factory-assembled unit and — as a bonus — experience the joy of putting it together. Other companies also offered kits, but Heathkit is virtually synonymous with the era.

The advent of solid-state devices, printed circuit boards, and automatic parts insertion removed the price advantage that kits enjoyed. By the time the Heath Company closed its doors in 1992, most amateur-radio equipment was being manufactured in Japan.

But Heathkit's demise did not spell the end of home construction in amateur radio. Anyone who has ever made a two-way radio contact with simple equipment they built on their own workbench or kitchen table will tell you that it's a thrilling experience. One of the many thriving subcultures in amateur radio is the QRP community, named for the international Morse code signal for "decrease power." QRPers pride themselves on being able to communicate all over the world with less than 5 watts of transmitter power, often with homemade gear. Their clever equipment designs — offered as kits by clubs and small businesses — have led to a renaissance in kit building. There are so many kits available from so many suppliers that, if you set out to build them all, you would never finish!

Today, the fruits of a kit-builder's labors can be slipped into a backpack, along with a battery and a roll of wire for a day of hiking, with space left over for lunch. At a nice spot along the trail, one end of the wire gets tossed into a tree and the other is connected to the radio for a couple of hours of surfing the ionosphere in search of contacts with other hams near and far. You might (or might not, depending on where you are) be able to get a signal on your smartphone, but it is truly liberating to be able to communicate using equipment you've built yourself — using just the natural phenomenon of radio-wave propagation and without a trillion dollars' worth of telecommunications infrastructure.

Radio amateurs don't develop radio-communication skills and capabilities just for ourselves.
- We want to be of service to our communities and country.

- Public service and emergency preparedness are important ways to give back for the privilege of accessing the radio spectrum.

- The more we know, the more capabilities we develop by doing it ourselves, the more valuable we can be when we're needed.

And we will be needed.

- Society relies ever more heavily on a fragile telecommunications infrastructure that is susceptible to overload and outright failure.

- We can't substitute for all that infrastructure. But we can communicate, no matter what.

David Sumner is the CEO of ARRL
— the national association for amateur radio.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.

Amateur radio experiences DIY renaissance 11 years 1 month ago #191

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
COMMENTS

Mike Christie
Mar 1, 2013

I might be bias because I am Ham but this spells out exactly why I became a Ham. I am Deputy Sheriff and work as an advisor to the Sheriff on Radio Communications.
My experience with Ham Radio and Military training in radio communications have gone hand & hand.
Now in my second Career as a Law Enforcement Officer it has help again to work in this position that I have now.
We use Hams in our EOC to supplement our communications there.
Hams ride in our Police vehicles during training exericises using their equipment.
We want to be ready when the call goes out to for support.

wa7nwp
Mar 1, 2013

Software Defined Radio technologies and the HSMM-MESH.org reuse of routers for HAM networking is bringing back the excitement just like the good old days. There has never been better technology available to put to work for EmComm, education or just plain fun.

W4ABC
Mar 1, 2013

My story is from somewhat of a unique perspective. As a Ham and as a member of Florida Urban Search & Rescue Task Force 3 (FL-TF3), I was privileged enough to set foot in Biloxi Mississippi to lend a hand to the local citizenry just hours after Hurricane Katrina came ashore.

My job as a Fire Fighter gave me the opportunity to join an elite, diverse group of individuals who constantly train to travel at a moments notice to help others in crisis, but it was my avocation as a Amateur Radio Operator that won me the unique slot on the USAR Team as their CommTech.

To the Government or Commercial types, Hams are something of an enigma.
We play by different rules by virtue of the fact that the Amateur Radio Service promotes experimentation and innovation, not to mention 'making do'. If you were to lay a PL-259 connector, a piece of coax and a stick of aluminum in front of any one of us and asked us which one we could do without - we'd pitch the aluminum in the can and build you a working, tuned vertical or horizontal radiator, complete with transmission line and connector.

Ever the consummate communicators, we train 'for the big one' by providing communications for hometown events such as marathons and run/walks as well as severe weather spotting and reporting via our VHF and UHF repeater networks through our Skywarn training with the National Weather Service. Not ones to leave the paperwork and logistics to others, many of us actively participate in NIMS training opportunities throughout the year.

When most commercial means of communications fail, hams will always find a way to get the word out. We're quick deploy before and after natural or man made disasters - often times leaving home for days and doing so with no expectation of remuneration, whatsoever. Call it the 'challenge' of doing something that few are capable of doing or the simple fact that we enjoy communicating, being involved, being patriotic.

73 (Best Regards),
Jon Pearl - W4ABC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds