Beware: Liability Waivers 8 years 9 months ago #609

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
ARES E-Letter - July 2015

Letters: Liability Waivers

I received my amateur license in the 1950s in Chicago and joined the emergency communications group of that era, which was called Civil Defense. When there was activation, we simply grabbed our radios, showed up at our assignments, and operated/communicated as a service to the public.

In 1967 when I moved to Palo Alto, California, I joined the local ARES/RACES organization. We participated in city drills, bike-a-thons and charity walks. We were issued special identification badges by the Palo Alto Fire Department so we would have access to the EOC and be identified as emergency responders.

Over the years, I've participated in a number of activations and assignments. We simply showed up where needed to provide service to the city, Red Cross, or race organizer, with no special paperwork required, we just did what was needed to be done.

In the last few years, our city's EOC was reorganized, and now all amateurs are asked to sign a form before they could work for the EOC. It stipulated that the ham was participating in the event for their own benefit and that the city and all related entities would be held harmless in the event that the ham suffered any mishap while participating in the event.

This form seemed inappropriate, given that we were volunteering our services for the benefit of the EOC and the public, not for our benefit.

Months ago, I was asked if I would be available for a local bike tour for which I'd provided communications for many years in the past. A few days before the event, I was sent a similar form that all participants were required to sign. Having committed to support the bike tour, I did not feel right backing out at the last moment, so I signed the form, but gave notice that if such a form were going to be required next year, I would not be available to serve.

Hams have invested in equipment and taken specialized training to be able to provide communications in the field as a public service. It seems to me that whoever we are serving should provide themselves with whatever insurance is required to make the "hold harmless" agreements unnecessary.
- Rich Stiebel, W6APZ
Palo Alto, California

Source:
www.arrl.org/ares-el?issue=2015-07-15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds