• Page:

TOPIC:

WA1SFH HF Go Box Project (2023) 1 year 1 month ago #869

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
Finally knuckling down to assembling (building?) my GO BOX for HF.
I have been using a mid sized Pelican Case with all the gear crammed inside, and having to unpack it to set up the station.
Did that work? Yes, but not any better than putting all the loose pieces into an 18 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck Tote. (UGH!)

So, here we are at the mid-point of the HF Go Box project....
For this project, I selected the Gator Case 6U (Shallow) as the container of choice with 1U shelves.
In retrospect, I "maybe", "might have" been able to use the 4U case (Shallow) for a lower profile.
- But, I like the concept of a utility storage shelf at the top for miscellaneous items.

For securing hardware, I am using #6 x 1/2" Machine Screws (Round Head), #6 flat washers, #10 flat washers.
Why 2 different sizes of washers? Great Question!
The shelves will only allow #6 Machine Screws to past through., and I wanted to avoid having to drill through the shelves (and make a mess) for larger screws.
For example, while the EZ-gate and the Rigrunner use #6 screws, the radio's mobile mount and the Power Supply mounting holes are #10 size.
So, in order to use #6 Machine Screws, I needed #6 AND #10 washers placed back to back to cover the gaps secure these 2 items.

The Top Shelf still is looking for a purpose: Miscellaneous Storage space

The Center Shelf has a small speaker suspended beneath it and has the Power Supply attached above it, with space for an Automatic Antenna Tuner to the right.

The Bottom Shelf has the radio secured using its Mobile Mount, EZ-gate Power Switch, and RigRunner.
These are all attached to the shelf with machine screws, washers and NYLOC nuts.

Next Steps
- Add connecting wires with Anderson PowerPoles,
and
- Locate the Antenna Tuner, which is in hiding.

More Planning
* Looking into using the Rear Lid (not shown) to house a coiled 15' extension cord and secured it with Velcro.
- The Power Supply's power cord reaches down to the floor, and I need an extension to reach to a wall socket.

Got to reduce weight!
Looking to replace the Top Shelf with the lightest shelf made. (Suggestions?)
May also replace the Center Shelf for the same reason.

So, how is your GO BOX Project going?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WA1SFH.

WA1SFH HF Go Box Project (2023) 1 year 1 month ago #870

• WA1SFH
  • WA1SFH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
Sunday - 3/5/23
IT IS ALIVE !
Still need to find my antenna tuner, but powered it on after connecting to a portable 40m-6m vertical antenna.
Worked the SSB contest for a little while just using 50 watts on 20m.
So Far... SO GOOD!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds